Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Three S14s : “A Day in the City”

Photography by NUGENT and Words by Nathan Ong
With the east coast about to see a snowy winter, I had contacted a couple of my Zenki friends Papa Dan (white s14) and Dan An (black s14), who I had met at “First Class Fitment.”  We wanted to meetup in Philly, which was a good “middle” point for all of us hailing from MD, NJ, and PA. Despite my car being low and knowing of the almost inevitable perils that the city would bring, I knew that driving around with my two friends in the city would be seriously awesome/scary/fun/ridiculous/radical! Here’s a brief summary of our adventures in the city…
So upon arrival in Philly we met in South Philly for a bite to eat. We ate at the famous Tony Lukes for Cheesesteaks. Since parking is pretty tough down in the city, we parked probably a couple hundred feet away together. The roads in South Philly are littered with potholes and railroad tracks, so we had to navigate carefully. I was not careful enough and lost my rear bumper on a track…. (#1)



After a successful and fully satisfying lunch, we proceeded to drive around south Philly passing by all of the stadiums. There was a Flyers game at the time so many people were walking past as police were patrolling the streets. Many people gave us the “omg” look as we lined up to every red light and stop sign together. At one point I was given the thumbs up by a group of 5 cops. That stretch of road was an awesome drive.
As the suburbia background was not enough for us, we all agreed to drive into the city via Broad Street. There was a point in time when three F-16 fighter jets flew over the city as we were scrapin’ our way into downtown….THAT moment was unbelievable. All 3 of our cars made a loop of LOVE Park, which was equally amusing seeing the many kids and parents point and look over at the spectacle which were our cars driving through city rush hour.

Here I got separated from the bunch and got semi-lost. Being lost sucks and having to reattach my front bumper in the middle of the city kinda sucks too (#2). SUP NUGENT?!
After a short stop over in ChinaTown to get some pastries and meats, we told Nugent to get out once again in order to get all 3 cars in a shot. This shot is probably one of my favorites of the whole set, because it contains all 3 of us, reminding me how radical this day was.

As we pulled away to circle around and pick up Nugent my rear bumper comes undone… (#3). No worries though. “You gotta pay to play”…
With the day winding down, and the light slowly fading, our adventures in the city came to a close. It was insanely fun hanging out in a city environment driving around and with friends. This was one of my favorite times with car friends and I hope to have more times like this come Spring 2011! Thanks for reading.
THANKS TO NUGENT FOR THE AWESOME SNAPS and THANKS TO OB for joining later!
Red Car  : WORK VSKF
17×9.5+6 215/45-18
18×10.5+14 235/40-18

No comments:

Post a Comment